I’m still sick and bored to death, so I was searching for some facts about food. It appears that some people eat to live, others live to enjoy the food. However, there is some interesting information that many people hardly know. I picked the 15 most shocking facts about foods and drinks.
1. The largest food item on a menu is roast camel. It’s stuffed with a sheep’s carcass, which is stuffed with chickens, which are stuffed with fish, which are stuffed with eggs. This feast is sometimes featured in Bedouin weddings.
2. 120,000,000 cups of tea are drunk in the UK every day.
3. 1,195 billion eggs have been consumed worldwide in 2011 and that this is equivalent to 173 eggs per person per year.
4. Everyone eats an average of 8 spiders in their lifetime while sleeping.
5. Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
6. Champagne contains 49 million bubbles in a bottle and the pressure is three times higher than that of a car tire.
7. The French eat approximately 500,000,000 snails per year.
8. Popcorn exists for approximately 6000 years. Evidence dating to perhaps as early as 4700 BC was found in Peru.
9. 14 billion hot dogs are eaten per year worldwide. This is enough to get three times to the moon and back.
10. If there was a geyser from all the consumed Coca-Cola till now, it would flow continuously for 1689 years.
11. The top rated pizza in America is Pepperoni pizza (36% of all pizza orders).
12. It is more Likely to be killed by a Champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.
13. In 17th century France every person over the age of seven had to consume 400 g of salt per year, otherwise he/she had to pay a fine.
14. Most ice cream is consumed in the U.S. , followed by New Zealand and Denmark.
15. It is estimated that at any time, 0.7% of the world population is drunk.